Giving rules IV

Matthew 6:1-4 “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
 
The third rule for giving is: give your alms in secret, or rather, give without showing off. 
 
Alms giving is charitable giving to the poor. Except in fundraising drives, where accountability is required for who gives what and the amounts are read out openly, sometimes it is wise not to reveal the identity of the one who gave, so as to remain anonymous. 

When one gives to the poor or a ministry with a showing-off attitude, they are not far from the attitude of Hypocrites in the context of this scripture, who, whenever they were to give alms, would do it publicly, sound the trumpet in the synagogue and in the streets, thus exposing the nakedness of the recipient. Christ, in some passages, says that the poor represent Him. So literally they expose the nakedness of Christ. I am yet to understand why some ministries, God bless their hearts, look for images of very poor children; helpless people take photos of themselves while giving to them or use such to solicit money! I wonder whether they can as well take pics while giving to well-dressed people. They are not far from celebrities, politicians, or global organisations that do the same to advance their motives. I believe we can acknowledge that we gave relief or aid in writing to some needy ones, but not expose the nakedness of the poor!
 
Some give and have to let everyone know that they gave sister or brother so and so A, B, C. I have heard that some donate things and leave their names on the items they gave. "This chair was donated by..." They give the chair to the church, yet they are the only ones who sit on it! What a shock! So the giving cannot be in secret at all. Can't one give and remain anonymous and joyful in their hearts that they gave rather than get the cheap popularity from printing their names everywhere that they are the ones who came to the rescue? 

May God help you discern when to remain anonymous in your giving.

Further scriptures
 
Matthew 25:36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ 
 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justified by faith

A year of good things

God first